Saturday, March 26, 2011

Naked Came the Manatee...an informal review

now that the formal paper is written..it's time to give the informal review =)

LOVED LOVED LOVED this book.  completely unexpected and delightfully surprising!

First of all, these authors REALLY know their stuff...the depictions of Miami are incredible.  They referenced places I haven't been to in YEARS.  News Cafe....LOVE IT!  Miami Beach...LOVE IT!  I remember the days of parties until 6am then watching the sun rise on the beach just down the road.  I remember the AMAZING authentic Cuban cafes and the INCREDIBLE food...at all hours of the night, of course, because nothing ever closes in Miami...lol

I loved the point of view from Booger...I've always loved manatees and hated boaters with no regard for them...I loved that Marion was 102...I of course hated that she was murdered over a fake Castro head, but still, loved that she was 102 nonetheless.  She reminded me of my friend's grandmother a lot.  Her naked twilight swims in the bay with Booger and her selling a fake Castro head for a million bucks, specifically.  My friend's grandmother used to go naked twilight swimming in the inlet by her house near 195 in Miami...I used to tell her she was crazy...she used to tell me I was crazy for not joining her... her, at her ripe ole' age of 95...lol.  She was brilliant..and when she passed (bless her soul)...she left a key to my friend, that key went to a safety deposit box holding 500k in cash...and she was told to buy a house and a car and live happily...and never depend on a man. LOL...she really was brilliant.

I'm glad I chose this book...I almost chose Strip Tease simply based on the fact that I've seen the movie and enjoyed it, so the book had to be even better...but this was the perfect read for me.  I think I might have to try and find some other books written by the same authors.  They did a spectacular job with this, especially considering it was a conglomeration of a bunch of different things written by different people!!

Again, on a scale of 1-10, I give it an 11! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment