Saturday, March 19, 2011

diversity

Michelle Trica, a local photographer here in Naples, is attempting a new piece of art this weekend.  She's attempting to cover a wall with 1,000 photos of diverse people in order to help people realize naples isn't just the white guys golfing on the brochures.  I think this is an amazinggggg idea.  I just found out yesterday that Michelle is a friend of my boss's and Tammy (my boss) already went to have her photo taken! I think this is fantastic. 

Ever since I moved to Naples I've told my husband that it is so different.  Coming from South Broward, I lived amongst diversity for a good 13 years of my life.  I was the minority! The Hispanic population totally dominated caucasian.  There were over a thousand students in my graduating class, over 700 were hispanic.  It seemed crazy to me at first, but once I moved to Naples, I missed it.  People here seem so narrow minded.  It's like naples is the place for older folks to come retire and play golf, or for seasoners to come play in the sun for a few months out of the year.

The older people I've met here (I'm not speaking for them all, but only those I've spoken with) truly think Naples is for white people...I just don't understand that.  They see hispanics or african americans and they look down upon them.  I could never live in that mind set and just dont understand how they could.

I'm excited to go see Michelle and have my picture taken.  It's going to be an honor to be a part of this project!!!!

more info:
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2011/mar/16/photographer-aims-document-naples-diversity/

No comments:

Post a Comment