Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"Home" Trip

I took my "home" trip this evening and strolled my neighborhood to discover the nature that surrounds me!
1. How old is the house?
Built in 1987
2. Of what materials is it constructed?
Wood Frame
3. How environmentally efficient is the house in terms of insulation, use of energy efficient appliances, air conditioning & heating, etc.?
I feel that the house is not very efficient at all.  The sealing on the doors and windows seems to be old.  I can feel cold drafts when it is cool outside.  Also, although I set my thermostat to 75 and it is registering the same, the A/C unit does not turn off.  This just cements my idea that there are drafts coming through the doors and windows.
4. How much space is in the home, and how many people are living there?
The entire condo is 957 sq. ft. and there are two of us living here (myself and my husband) along with our kitties (who we often refer to as our kids)
5. How close is your home to your work, school, etc.?
I work 2 different jobs and attend FGCU, so I go 3 miles to job #1, then about 2 more miles to job #2.  FGCU is approximately 20 miles (30 mins) from my house.
6. How is your house landscaped?
there are bushes surrounding the first floor of the buildings, and grassy areas in between the buildings.  There is the golf course also, and all lawn care is done twice a week.  The area is very well manicured, but does not look very natural.
7. How much yard do you maintain, and does yard maintenance require the use of chemicals or gasoline - powered equipment?
I do not personally maintain any of the grounds surrounding my condo since it is a managed community; however, I do see maintenance men on the grounds twice a week.  They use various bug-killing chemicals and many gas-powered lawn mowers.  I can sometimes smell the fumes when I'm walking to my car.
8. Do you have a pool that you maintain and utilize?   If so, what chemicals are you handling & storing to keep the pool clean?
We do have a pool, but like the lawn, it is kept maintained by the management company.
9. What household chemicals & agents do you store?   Where & how do you store them?
The only chemicals kept in my house are a few cleaning agents, such as windex, tilex, and detergents (laundry and dish).  Because I have pets, I choose to use a steam mop to sanitize my floors, and microfiber cloths to clean/dust.  I can't seem to give up my windex for glass and tilex for bathrooms just yet, though!
10. What other creatures live in and around your home?   Make a detailed inventory?
In my home: 5 cats (yes, 5!) Noel (15 yrs), Little (5 yrs), Mattie (5.5 yrs), Friday (4 yrs) and Lilly (6 months).  Other than the sugar ants who inhabited my kitchen when I first got here in September, I've seen no other creatures IN my home.
Around my home: birds in the trees (I still hope the bird eggs made it safely to a new nesting tree!).  There are also lizards EVERYWHERE and lots of birds, in the trees and on the ground.
11. Finally, ask yourself the question of what constitutes a natural versus an unnatural environment. Is your home a natural or unnatural environment?
I believe a "natural environment" is an undisturbed environment.  Houses in Golden Gate Estates are in more of a natural environment than my own.  My community has many many buildings, villas, townhouses, etc.  Some sort of natural environment was torn down in order to lay the greens for the golf course.  The closest I feel to nature at my house is when I stare out west from the balcony and watch the sky turn a gorgeous pink/purple/orange color at sunset.
12. Are you "of nature" or "apart" from it? What makes you think that?
Although I do not feel like I live in a natural environment, I do believe SW Florida as a whole is a natural environment.  Because I've always lived in very urban areas up until 2009, I feel a part of nature more now than ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment