Saturday, April 16, 2011

Civic Engagement Day

Yesterday was Civic Engagement Day at Alico Arena.  My group and I had so much fun!!!  Although our presentation didn't win an award, we were VERY happy to see another group win for the same organization - Shy Wolf Sanctuary!!  There were so  many fantastic projects and so much information available!!  All the preparation for the final presentation was well worth it.  I also learned of a Pajama Program.  I had no idea how many thousands of children went to sleep each night wearing the same clothes they'd been in all day and I believe it's a WONDERFUL cause.  Pajama Program was founded by Genevieve Piturro in Harlem, NY.  It's astounding to me that her individual efforts grew into a national organization that now has chapters in 42 states!

Yesterday's festivities really drew my semester to a close.  Although I took other courses that were not civic-engagement related this term, I really feel as though 90% of my time and efforts went to volunteering and being engaged with the community.  And although I have an entire results and discussion section to write for an Experimental Psychology paper, all I can think about is how to stay involved and engaged after this semester ends.  I would have never become involved with my community had FGCU not required it.  I would love to personally thank the board members and faculty who made this a requirement.  At first, I thought I wouldn't have the time and considered it a burden, but now that it's over, I'm saddened.

My Foundations group members and I have decided to contine volunteering with Shy Wolf.  We've gotten a partnership with Petco and plan to hold "Awareness Weekends" the 2nd weekend of every month.  I hope groups working with Shy Wolf down the road will continue the awareness weekends as well.

This semester has truly helped me grow as an individual....it's helped me to dig deep inside myself and find talents and passions I never knew existed.  I've done some research on the side regarding Eco-Fi, an eco-fiber that is produced from PET soda bottles...and after creating a mock-marketing project based on the material, I'm highly considering looking into a REAL company...I think it would be amazing.

I can't thank my teachers enough for this amazing experience this semester.  If it weren't for the interesting articles assigned for reading from Prof. Seay and the Civic Engagement movies and books assigned by Prof. Satkoski, I wouldn't have discovered this hidden passion for the environment and society.

This has truly been my most rewarding semester of school ever.....which speaks volumes considering I've been an on and off student for ten years now...I just hope other students took away the same amount of reward as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment